Employers should protect their workers from fire ants by training them about:
- Their risk of exposure
- How to identify fire ants and their nests
- How to prevent exposure
- What to do if they are bitten or stung
Workers should take the following steps to prevent fire ant stings and bites:
- Do not disturb or stand on or near ant mounds.
- Be careful when lifting items (including animal carcasses) off the ground, as they may be covered in ants.
- Fire ants may also be found on trees or in water, so always look over the area before starting to work.