Each year worldwide 37.3 million people experience a fall, of those an estimated 646,000 die from their fall related injuries.
Bodily changes that occur as you age may affect personal safety.
- Balance deteriorates due to the weakening of the muscles and change in sensory perception
- Aging dissolves cells in the nervous system, resulting in delayed reflexes
Many winter related injuries can be successfully avoided or their impact lessened by doing the following:
- Check your footwear making sure it is appropriate for conditions
- Keep a shovel and ice melting agent in your house
- Check your railings
- Bring a cell phone when you leave the house
- Slow down, take your time
- Ask for help if you feel uncomfortable with conditions
- Have a plan
- Exercise, exercise, exercise